- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
This hearty Indian lentil soup is not only packed with nutrients and iron, but is also brimming with wonderful traditional Indian herbs and spices. Serve with a side of naan bread to complete the meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 potatoes, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup red or yellow lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 handful of fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili or harissa
- sea salt to taste
- roasted pumpkin seeds and fresh coriander to garnish
- Place the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion, garlic, ginger and all the spices, and sauté the mixture for 1-1/2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrots and lentils, cook for 1 minute, and then pour in the vegetable stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, season with additional salt if needed and then cook the mixture for 10 minutes. Serve ladled into bowls and garnished with roasted pumpkin seeds and fresh coriander.