- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 8-10 servings
Old fashioned hush puppies recipe.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup parsley (minced)
- 1/3 cup green onions (minced)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon hot green peppers (minced)
- Prepare a deep fryer with hot fat.
- Combine all the dry ingredients. Mix together the water and butter and bring to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the parsley, onions and peppers. Bring to a brisk boil until the onions become clear, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the dry ingredients, stir constantly to prevent it from becoming lumpy. Cook on low for 3-5 minutes until thick. Pour into a shallow pan or cookie sheet and allow to cool. Roll into thin 3-4 inch lengths.
- Deep fry until lightly browned.