- Prep: 1 hr 35 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 1 hr 35 min
- Serving: Serves 4-6
A goulash is usually a soup or stew made with beef, vegetables and spices. Try this hearty and flavorful recipe made with bacon.
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 pounds boneless chuck, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 beer
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped fine
- Cook the bacon until crisp over medium heat in a Dutch oven. Remove, crumble and set aside.
- Increase the heat to high, and add the meat, browning in the bacon fat on all sides.
- Add in the onions and garlic, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Sauté for about 5 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the paprika, caraway seeds, and flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in the vinegar and the ketchup and cook for another minute.
- Slowly pour in the broth and water while whisking, and then add the salt, bell peppers, bacon, and meat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check seasoning and add accordingly. Ladle into bowls and serve hot.