- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 22 min
- Total: 32 min
- Serving: Serves 2-4
This simple tomato sauce gets some added kick from the addition of dried chili. Feel free to increase the amount if you can handle the heat.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried chili
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or honey
- 1 can canned tomatoes
- freshly chopped basil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the olive oil in a large, hot sauté pan over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion, garlic and chili and sauté the mixture for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, basil and a few pinches of salt and pepper to taste. Let the mixture simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes and then serve over pasta.