- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Total: 13 min
- Serving: 2
Mornings that start off on a harried foot lead to exhausting afternoons, especially if breakfast is skipped to save time. This hot cereal recipe is assembled in the evening and needs less than 10 minutes of cooking time the next day upon rising. Bulgur and oats will keep your motor running throughout the early part of the day, giving you energy to tackle work, workouts or chores.
- Â½ cup bulgur wheat
- Â¼ cup oats
- 2 cups water or lowfat 1% milk
- Pinch salt
- Place ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring to combine.
- Cover and let sit overnight.
- Cereal can be kept at room temperature or refrigerated (if using milk, refrigerate).
- In the morning, transfer cereal to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Adjust consistency to your liking by adding more liquid to thin or cooking longer to thicken.
- Remove from heat and serve and add your favorite fruit and nuts.
- To cook in a microwave, pour cereal into a microwave-safe bowl or use a microwave-safe bowl to begin with. Cover with plastic wrap and cut vents in the plastic with a sharp knife. Microwave on HIGH for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Adjust consistency to your liking. Serve with following mix-ins.