- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: Serves 8-10 people
Looking for a delicious soup to warm you up on a winter's night? Hot & Sour Soup with Tofu is full of flavor and perfect for vegetarians. Serve alongside noodles or simply eat on its own.
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili oil or hot sauce
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup extra-firm tofu, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, minced
- 1, 8-oz can bamboo shoots, drained and diced
- 1/4 cup of rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of dry sherry or rice wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup scallions, sliced
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- In a large pot, combine the vegetable broth, brown sugar, ginger, soy sauce, garlic and hot sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- To the liquid, add the cabbage, mushrooms, tofu, bell pepper and bamboo shoots. Simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sherry or rice wine, lime juice, black pepper and cornstarch. Return the soup to a boil and stir in the vinegar mixture to help thicken the soup. Allow the soup to boil until it's just thick (about 2 minutes).