- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 10 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
A Horchata is the Mexican version of a milkshake but without the milk; sweet and creamy, it is made with rice, almonds and sugar.
- 1 cup raw long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup blanched whole almonds
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 4 cups water
- freshly ground nutmeg, to garnish
- Place the rice, almonds, sugar, vanilla, a pinch of cinnamon and 4 cups water into a blender, and blend for at least 1 minute. The rice and the almonds should be totally pureed and the mixture smooth.
- Stain the mixture through a mesh strainer and into 4 glasses filled with ice.
- Garnish each Horchata with freshly ground nutmeg and serve immediately.