- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 55 min
- Total: 2 hr 15 min
- Serving: 6 people
Give your ordinary roast chicken an extra kick, Chicken roasted with honey and rosemary with squash and onion added.
- 3- to 3 1/2 pound whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 1 1/2 pound buttercup or acorn squash
- 2 medium onions
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Peel the squash, slice into 1/2 inch rings, then in half. Chop the onion into 1 inch slices.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fold wings under the back of the chicken and tie the drumsticks together. Place the chicken, breast side up, in the roasting pan and arrange the vegetables around it.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well. Spread over the chicken and vegetables, retaining the remaining marinade.
- Place meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, insuring that it is not touching bone.
- Cook uncovered for 1 hour. Brush on the remaining marinade and cover loosely with foil. Continue cooking until the thermometer reads 180 degrees Fahrenheit, about 45-55 minutes. The juice of the chicken should no longer be pink when the thigh is cut and the squash should be tender.