- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 22 min
- Total: 32 min
- Serving: Makes about 2 cups
Who needs the store-bought stuff out of the bottle when you can make an even richer, more flavorful version yourself.
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup tamarind concentrate
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 5 cardamom pods, smashed
- 4 chiles de árbol, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 1-inch stick cinnamon
- 1 anchovy, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 -1⁄2-inch piece ginger, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Place all of the ingredients, except for the sugar, into a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the sugar into a small skillet and cook over medium-high for 5 minutes; sugar will darken and become syrupy.
- Whisk the caramelized sugar into the vinegar mixture and cook for 6 minutes.
- Strain the liquid into a glass jar, tightly cap and store in the refrigerator for up to 8 months.