- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 4 hr 5 min
- Total: 4 hr 25 min
- Serving: Makes about 1/2 cup
Instead of using the store-bought variety you buy in a tin, try making your own version of tomato paste with fresh summer tomatoes.
- 5 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus more to drizzle
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat and then add the tomatoes. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook the tomatoes for 5 minutes and then place in a food mill fitted with the smallest disc.
- Process the tomatoes so the tomato liquid falls into a rimmed cookie sheet pan, and then sprinkle in some salt to taste.
- Place the pan in the oven for 4 hours, stirring every hour.
- Remove the pan and transfer the tomato paste to a container. Drizzle with some olive oil and then tightly cap. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.