- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: Makes about 4 cups
America’s favorite condiment undergoes a modern and unique twist with the addition of balsamic vinegar.
- 3 pounds tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place the tomatoes in a large saucepan along with the salt and vinegar. Simmer the mixture over medium heat until tomatoes are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Using a coarse strainer, strain the tomato mixture and then place the strained liquid back into the saucepan.
- Stir in the sugar and simmer over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Sprinkle in the spice mix and the cayenne pepper, and stir to combine.
- Store the ketchup in sterilized bottles until ready to use.