- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 15
There's nothing like Homemade Dinner Rolls.
- 1, 1/4 ounce package dry active yeast
- 1 cup warm water, about 110 degrees
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk, scalded but cooled to warm
- 4 ounces melted butter, plus 2 ounces
- 5 cups flour, plus more as needed
- In a standing mixer with a dough hook, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let sit until lightly foamy. Stir in sugar and add egg, salt, warm milk and 4 ounces of butter. Slowly add 5 cups of flour, adding more as needed to make an elastic dough. Mix well, then roll out to floured surface and knead dough for about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in buttered bowl, cover with towel, and set in a warm place to rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Lightly oil a 6 cup, 3 inch muffin pan. Punch dough down and form into 1 inch balls. Place 3 balls in each muffin cup. Cover with towel and allow to rise and additional 1/2 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Brush rolls with remaining melted butter. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.