- Prep: 13 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 18 min
- Serving: Makes about 1 quart
Make this French version of sour cream with unpasteurized or lightly pasteurized cream.
- 1 quart unpasteurized cream or half and half
- 1 packet crème fraiche starter culture
- Place the cream in a stainless steel pot and gently heat to 86 degrees.
- Sprinkle in the crème fraiche starter culture, let sit for 1 minute and then stir to incorporate in an up and down motion.
- Pour the mixture into a glass jar with a lid and let rest for 13 hours or until mixture becomes thick.
- The crème Fraiche will keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.