- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 3 hr 25 min
- Total: 3 hr 45 min
- Serving: 4 to 6 servings
This soup is so good you shouldn’t wait until you have a cold to eat it. Squeeze in a little fresh lemon before serving and garnish with some parsley.
- 3-1/2 pounds chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and cut in half
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium celery stalks, with leaves, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut in half
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 4-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup rice
- Place the chicken in a large pot and fill with enough water to cover.
- Bring the water to a boil and skim and discard any froth that appears on the surface of the water.
- Drop in the onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, sweet potato, and dill and simmer for 3 hours partially covered.
- Strain the chicken stock by pouring through a strainer and into a new pot. Remove the chicken and set aside until cool. Shred and add to the pot with the stock.
- Bring the chicken mixture to a boil and then add the rice with a sprinkle of a salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve hot.