- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Makes 4 servings
Nothing says fall like homemade apple cider!
- 6 to 8 Gala apples, quartered
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 to 3 tablespoons allspice berries
- Combine apples, sugar, and enough water to cover them in a large pot. Tie cinnamon and allspice in a double layer of cheesecloth and add to pot.
- Boil over high heat for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Then, lower heat, place lid on pot, and let simmer for 2 hours. Remove pot from heat and let cool.
- Take cheesecloth out of pot and mash apples with a fork or potato masher. Pour mixture into a bowl through a strainer lined with cheesecloth. Wrap solids in cheesecloth and squeeze out excess juice. Discard solids.
- Cider can be enjoyed chilled or warm. To warm, reheat in a microwave or on the stove top. Serve with whipped topping, a dash of cinnamon, and a squeeze of caramel sauce. Cider can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator, or frozen for up to 3 months