- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 18
Cranberry Muffins are full of plump, tangy cranberries and served with a hot cranberry topping.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
- Topping: 1, 8 ounce can whole cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup margarine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12 cup and 6 cup muffin tin.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, orange zest, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger.
- Cut in shortening; stir in juice, vanilla, eggs, cranberries and nuts. Pour into muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes or until brown.
- Prepare the topping: In a saucepan whisk together cranberry sauce, brown sugar and margarine. Cook over low heat until heated and smooth. Remove from heat and serve as a spread for the muffins.