- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: 8
Coleslaw is a quintessential accompaniment for barbecue and a delightful side or topping for hearty sandwiches.
- 1, 8 ounce head of red cabbage (about 3 to 4 cups shredded)
- 1, 8 ounce head of green cabbage (about 3 to 4 cups shredded)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise (or more for a creamier slaw)
- 3 tablespoons hickory smoked mustard
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Coarsely cut cabbage or finely shred, depending on your preference.
- Coarser cut slaw stays crisper.
- Place in a very large bowl with carrots and green onions, tossing to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Whisk in mayonnaise, mustard, celery seeds, salt and pepper.
- Stir dressing into cabbage mixture.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to marry the flavors.
- Serve cold and keep leftovers stored in the refrigerator.