- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Total: 18 min
- Serving: 4
This a wonderful and flavorful side dish that pairs well with most main dishes. Use fresh or frozen peas depending on the season.
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the couscous according to package directions, substituting the broth for the water.
- In the meantime, place the peas in a medium-sized saucepan and add enough water to barely cover. Sprinkle the peas with salt and cook on medium-low heat for about 3 minutes, and drain.
- Transfer the couscous to a serving bowl and add the peas, garbanzo beans, parsley, mint, basil, lemon zest and pepper to the couscous. Gently toss until well combined, and serve immediately.