- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 3 hr 30 min
- Total: 3 hr 55 min
- Serving: Makes 16 servings
A succulent rib roast that will ‘wow’ your family and your guests. Serve for Sunday dinner or for the holidays.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 head of garlic, cloves coarsely chopped
- 1 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 3 tablespoons chopped sage
- One 16-pound rib roast of beef
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Using a food processor, process the butter, garlic, horseradish, thyme, rosemary and sage. The consistency of the mixture will become a thick paste.
- Place the rib roast in a large roasting pan with the fatty side up. Rub salt and pepper over the entire roast. Thickly spread the herb and butter paste evenly over the top of the roast.
- Put roast in oven and bake for about 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 hours. For a medium rare roast, an internal thermometer should show a temperature of 125 degrees when inserted in the center.
- Remove roast from the oven and let rest for at least 25 minutes before carving.