- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: Makes 6 main dish servings
A cornucopia of various flavors and textures, this hearty wild rice dish combines a healthy mix of beans, chickpeas, wild rice, chestnuts and cranberries, all coated in spicy honey mustard dressing.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can small red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the wild rice according to package directions, rinse under cold water and then drain well. Place in a bowl with the chickpeas, beans, water chestnuts, green onions and dried cranberries, and toss to combine.
- In the meantime, make the dressing by whisking the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, cumin, curry powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and minced garlic in a bowl until thoroughly blended. Slowly pour the olive oil into the mixture, mixing vigorously to combine.
- Pour the prepared dressing over the cooked rice, sprinkle with some salt and fresh pepper to taste, and then toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.