- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 20 min
- Serving: 4
Everyone loves a great Hearty Tomato Soup. This recipe really stands out from the rest with fresh tomatoes and a delicious blend of seasonings.
- 2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teeaspoon fresh marjoram leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 2 cups water
- 4-5 tablespoon heavy cream plus extra to garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- Prepare tomatoes by discarding seeds, reserving juice, and roughly chopping the flesh
- Warm olive oil in a saucepan then cook carrot and celery for 4 minutes. Toss in tomatoes, reserved juice, garlic, and marjoram for 2 minutes
- Add water and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Cool soup a bit then puree until smooth. Return to saucepan and warm.
- Add cream, basil, and season to taste. Serve with cream.