- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
This hearty mushroom and barley soup hits the spot on a chilly fall evening. You can use one type of mushroom for the recipe, or vary the mushrooms for more interest. Serve with crunchy artesian bread.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of barley
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced thinly
- 2 celery stalks, sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2, 10-ounce packages of mushrooms, chopped
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup of sherry or red wine
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Reserve 1-2 cups of water to add to the broth, as the barley soaks up the liquid.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the onions, carrot and celery for about 10 minutes, or until the onions have turned translucent. Add in the garlic.
- Stir in the mushrooms and rosemary and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, sherry or red wine, and add the barley. Simmer for 40-45 minutes, adding your reserve water along the way as the barley absorbs the broth.
- Before finished, stir in the salt and pepper.