- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: 6
Wheat germ is the secret ingredient in Hearty Italian Meatballs.
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 green pepper, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1, 16 ounce jar Italian marinara sauce
- 1, 20 ounce bag frozen Italian green beans
- In 10 inch skillet over medium heat, in 2 tablespoons hot oil, cook onion and green pepper until tender, stirring occasionally. In large bowl, mix onion mixture, ground beef, wheat germ, water, salt and pepper. Shape beef mixture into twelve meatballs.
- In same skillet over medium-high heat, in 2 more tablespoons hot oil, cook meatballs, half at a time, until well browned on all sides, removing meatballs to large bowl as they brown. Pour off drippings from skillet. Return meatballs to skillet; add marinara sauce; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare Italian green beans as label directs. Serve beans with meatballs.