- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 4-6 People
Brownies are a kid-friendly fave that are traditionally high in fat, sugar, and calories. These Better for You Brownies get a healthy makeover with applesauce, less sugar, and whole wheat pastry flour.
- 1/2 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, white whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together applesauce, eggs, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir only until moistened. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until desired texture is reached. Less time will result in a denser chewy brownie while more time will result in a cake-like brownie. Let cool slightly then invert onto a cutting board and cut.