- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 hr
- Total: 10 hr 15 min
- Serving: 6
If you are running short of time, don't make the gravy. Just use the cooking juices over each serving.
Brought to you by the 50+ Friends Cookbook.
- 1Â½ to 2 lb. boneless beef chuck pot roast
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 med. onion, sliced
- 4 med. sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (1Â¼ lbs.)
- Â¾ c. water
- 1Â½ tsp. instant been bouillon granules
- Â¼ tsp. celery seed
- Â¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Â¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- Trim fat from pot roast.
- Cut roast to fit into a 3Â½ or 4-quart crock pot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Cook roast in hot oil until brown on all sides.
- Drain well.
- Meanwhile, place onion, then the sweet potatoes in crock pot.
- Place roast on top of vegetables.
- Combine the Â¾ cup water, the bouillon granules, celery seed, cinnamon, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours (high 4 to 5 hours).
- Remove meat and vegetables from crock pot and place on a platter; reserve juices.
- Skim fat from cooking juices.
- Pour juices into a glass measuring cup.
- If necessary, add water to equal 2 cups liquid.
- For gravy, stir the 2 tablespoons cold water into the cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- Stir in the cooking juices.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Serve gravy with roast and vegetables.