- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 10 hr
- Total: 10 hr 30 min
- Serving: 10
The combination of beans makes this dish delicious.
- 3/4 cup dry navy beans
- 3/4 cup dry black beans
- 3/4 cup dry lima beans
- 1/2 cup dry Kidney beans
- 1/4 cup dry split peas
- 2 cups fully cooked ham cut into bite size pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 cups water
- Rinse beans and drain.
- Combine the beans, peas, and 7 cups cold water (add additonal water if needed) in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boiling and reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Meanwhile, combine ham, onion, carrots, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and bay leaves in a crock pot. Stir in drained beans and 7 cups fresh water.
- Cover and cook on lot for 8 to 10 hours. (Or, cook on high for 4 to 5 hours).
- Discard the bay leaves.