- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 3 hr 30 min
- Total: 3 hr 45 min
- Serving: 10
Gumbo is a flavorful meal best served over rice.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup yellow corn
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups hot water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (14-ounce can) stewed tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 pound small shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook chicken until browned on both sides. Remove from Dutch oven and set aside.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned, then remove.
- Sprinkle the flour over the oil, add 2 tablespoons of margarine to make a roux and cook over medium heat. Stir constantly until brown for about 10 minutes. Let roux cool.
- Adjust Dutch oven heat to low and melt remaining 3 tablespoons margarine. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper, carrots, corn, and celery and cook for 10 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, to taste and the 1/4 bunch parsley. Cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently. Add 4 cups hot water and bouillon cubes, whisking constantly. Add the chicken and sausage. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Lastly, add okra and tomatoes. Cover and continue to simmer for 1 hour. Just before serving add the green onions, shrimp and parsley.