- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Makes 6 servings
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 large whole egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- Whisk milk with egg yolks and whole egg in a small bowl. Combine flour, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a separate large bowl. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon, until well combined (do not over mix, a few lumps are fine). Cover bowl and chill for 1 hour.
- Boil salted water in a large pot. Also, fill a large bowl with ice water. Add half of the batter to a colander with large holes. Hold colander over boiling water and press batter down with a spatula or spoon and let the batter drop into the boiling water (you may have to scrape the bottom of the colander to release the batter from the holes).
- Repeat this until all of the batter has been used. Cook noodles for 2 minutes, then strain and place in the ice water. Gently mix noodles in water until the ice melts, then strain and place in a large bowl. Toss noodles with 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place noodles in a casserole dish and top with butter and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted. Meanwhile, cook onions in 1 tablespoon oil for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Top noodles with onions and serve immediately.