- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
Making Sloppy Joes with ground turkey cuts down on extra calories and fat without sacrificing taste.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 14- to 15-ounce can whole tomatoes in juice
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco, or to taste
- 6 hamburger buns, toasted
- Place the oil into a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-heat.
- When the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion, celery, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and sauté for 6 minutes.
- Stir in the ground turkey and break up any big lumps with a wooden spoon. Cook for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the tomatos, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and Tabasco into a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture over the turkey and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season the turkey mixture with salt and pepper and then spoon into hamburger buns and serve.