- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 17 min
- Total: 27 min
- Serving: 4
This is a great mixture of lamb and spices to stuff into your favorite pastry roll or hamburger bun.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 (4 ounce) onion, finely chopped (about Â¾ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, minced
- 1 pound lamb shoulder or loin chop, trimmed of fat, ground.
- Â¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- Â½ teaspoon turmeric
- Â½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Â½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Â½ teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch of salt or to taste
- 1 cup fresh shelled peas (or frozen, thawed)
- Juice of a lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeno, stirring frequently, until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add ground lamb, breaking it up with a spatula, and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle spices over lamb and cook, stirring often, for another 1 to 2 minutes to evenly incorporate spices.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in peas and lemon juice. Cover skillet and cook until peas are warm and tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon or two of water if skillet bottom dries out.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a large spoon fill your favorite pastry shell, bun or pita pocket.