- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total: 37 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Lamb is such a wonderful alternative to beef and chicken. Enjoy it grilled to medium rare doneness, thinly sliced and served with a romaine and jicama salad.
- 1 1-pound piece boneless leg of lamb, about 3 inches thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for rubbing
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 6-ounce piece of jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium seedless cucumber, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup shredded basil, plus 4 sprigs
- 2 red jalapeños, seeded and sliced
- 4 cilantro sprigs
- Prepare the grill on moderate heat.
- Brush the lamb on all sides with olive oil and then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of cumin, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Rub the spices into the lamb and let stand at room temperature for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the vinegar, honey, mustard and the remaining 1 teaspoon of cumin in a small bowl and vigorously whisk together to combine.
- Place the lamb on the grill and cook for 12 minutes, turning a few times to ensure even cooking. Place on a clean surface and let rest for 6 minutes before cutting into thin slices.
- Place the romaine, jicama, carrot, cucumber, shredded basil and jalapeños into a large salad bowl and then pour in the dressing. Toss the mixture to combine until well coated.
- Place the lamb slices onto the salad and sprinkle with the cilantro sprigs to garnish.