- Prep: 4 hr 15 min
- Cook Time: 6 min
- Total: 4 hr 21 min
- Serving: Makes 8 Hot Dogs
Just the right blend of sweet and savory from the pickled onion makes this hot dog a delicious winner.
- 1 sweet yellow onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- A few pinches of sea salt
- 2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 1/4-pound all-beef hot dogs, grilled
- 8 hot dog buns
- Place the cider vinegar, white vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seed and red pepper flakes into a bowl and whisk until mixture is blended and sugar and salt have completely dissolved.
- Add the onions to the vinegar mixture and stir to coat.
- Cover the bowl and allow the onions to marinate for 4 hours, stirring once every hour, then drain the onions and set aside.
- Prepare the grill on medium heat.
- Using a sharp knife, makes a few shallow cuts in each of the hot dogs and then place on the grill for 6 minutes, turning occasionally, with the lid closed.
- Place each grilled dog in a bun and top with the pickled onions. Serve immediately.