- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: Serves 4
Zabaglione is a traditional Italian sauce made with egg yolks and Marsala wine. Serve with pieces of fresh prosciutto and a chilled white wine.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons Marsala
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds large asparagus
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Prepare your grill or broiler on a medium-high heat.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a slow simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks, the egg and the Marsala wine together in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over the saucepan of water and quickly whisk contents until sauce forms stiff peaks, approximately 5 minutes. Set aside the bowl.
- In another bowl, blend the butter with the heavy cream and the pepper. Slowly, and with 1 tablespoon at a time, whisk the butter mixture into the egg mixture. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste and set aside sauce, keeping warm.
- Toss the asparagus with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill the asparagus for about 5 minutes on all sides until tender.
- Place the asparagus on a serving platter and spoon over the sauce. Sprinkle with the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and a grind of freshly ground pepper.