- Prep: 8 hr
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 9 hr
- Serving: approximately 6 jars
REcipe for green tomato canning.
- 10 pounds green tomatoes
- 2/3 cup salt
- 6 cups water
- 4 1/2 pounds white onions
- 4 cups vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- Slice the tomatoes and onions and place in a large pot in alternating layers, sprinkling with salt after each layer. Cover and allow it to stand overnight. Drain.
- Add 2 cups of water and 2 cups of vinegar and bring to a boil. Drain.
- Add in 2 cups vinegar, 4 cups of water, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.