- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
This lush and aromatic vegetarian dish is made with a delicious combination of leek, onion, sweet potato, chard, spinach and ginger. For a slightly deeper flavor, stir 1/2 teaspoon of tamari into the soup prior to serving.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 large bunch green chard, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh lemon juice
- Place the oil into a medium-sized sauté pan over low heat. Once warm, add the onion and sprinkle with a pinch of salt; cook, stirring occasionally, for 35 minutes to caramelize.
- Put the sweet potato, water, leek, spinach, chard, ginger and a few pinches of salt into a soup pot and then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 35 minutes, covered. Stir in the caramelized onions and the broth, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Season the soup to taste with fresh lemon juice and additional salt and pepper, and then serve immediately.