- Prep: 35 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 6-8 Servings
This classic French side-dish pairs deliciously with a Sunday Roast. If you like a bit of tang to your potatoes, substitute 1 cup half-and-half with Greek yogurt.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2-1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 3-quart baking dish by rubbing with the garlic clove and then greasing with the butter.
- In a large saucepan, add the potatoes, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg and set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, and cook for 6 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish, making sure that the potatoes are well covered with the cream sauce.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the potatoes and bake in the oven for 50 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and the potatoes are tender.