- Prep: 3 hr 25 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 3 hr 40 min
- Serving: 6
Grapefruit Chiffon Pie has a gingersnap cookie crust.
- 1-1/3 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated grapefruit rind
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup fresh Florida grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- fresh grapefruit sections
- Combine crumbs, butter and 1/4 cup sugar in bowl, mixing well. Press into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Combine gelatin, 1/2 cup sugar, ginger and rind in saucepan.
- Beat egg yolks with grapefruit juice and stir into gelatin mixture. Cook over low heat until gelatin dissolves and mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly.
- Chill until mixture mounds when dropped from a spoon. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar gradually, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in cooled gelatin mixture. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into prepared crust. Chill until set. Garnish with additional whipped cream and grapefruit sections.