- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Total: 1 hr 35 min
- Serving: 6-8
Over the river and through the woods----whatever it takes to get some of Grandma's Chestnut Stuffing!
- 2 pounds chestnuts
- 3 onions, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 pound pork sausage (breakfast)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, sliced thin
- 1/2 loaf day old bread, cubed
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Cut slit in chestnut shell, roast at 350 degree F for 5-7 minutes, watching carefully. Roast until cooked. Peel and cut up.
- Soak bread until ready to use. Then place in strainer to drain off excess water.
- In a skillet heat up 1 tablespoon butter and saute onions and celery until light brown and tender.
- Add pork sausage and cook until completely done. Add apples, chestnuts, eggs, bread, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook 10 minutes.
- Put stuffing in turkey cavity or in a baking dish. Brown in baking dish for 35 minutes.