- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr 5 min
- Serving: 9
A dark and fragrant snack cake like no other. Ginger snap flour creates a slice of strong spicy flavor that counters the sweet dice of apple.
- Dry Ingredients
- 8 ounces ginger snaps (about 30 or 1 Â¾ cups fine crumbs)*
- Â¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Â½ teaspoon baking soda
- Â½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- Wet Ingredients
- Â¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (6 ounce) apple, cored, diced fine (pink lady or braeburn work well)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and adjust oven rack to middle position.
- Spray a standard (9 x 5 inch) loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or wipe lightly with softened butter (in addition to Â¼ cup above).
- Place ginger snaps in a food processor or blender and process into a flour-like consistency.
- Add whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and pulse until blended.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place butter into a medium mixing bowl and beat in sugar with a hand mixer or beat ingredients with a stand up mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Turn mixer to low and mix in buttermilk and vanilla until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in apple.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just blended and pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Smooth top with a spatula and place in oven.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until center of cake is firm and top edges pull slightly away from sides of pan or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Run a plastic spatula around the edge of the cake to separate from pan.
- Invert onto a serving plate to serve immediately.