- Prep: 2 hr 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 2 hr 10 min
- Serving: Makes 12 cocktails
Adding freshly grated ginger to classic Mojitos made with fresh mint gives this summer favorite even more intense flavor and pizzazz.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 (4-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle white rum
- 1-1/2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2-1/4 cups club soda, chilled
- 12 fresh mint sprigs
- Place the sugar, water and ginger in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil stirring frequently.
- Cook the mixture for 5 minutes and then remove from heat. Stir in the fresh mint leaves and then let the mixture sit for 1 hour to allow flavors to infuse.
- Stain the syrup into a glass container, discarding any remaining solids, and then pour in the rum and lime juice. Stir, cover and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Fill a tall glass with ice and then add 1/2 cup of the prepared Mojito mix. Top the drink with some club soda and lightly stir to combine the mixture.
- Serve garnished with a sprig of mint.