- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: 16
German Chocolate Skillet Cake is a unique dessert with a buttery coconut topping.
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1, 7 ounce package flaked coconut
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients to make cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine brown sugar and milk in a large bowl; add coconut and pecans; mix well. Melt butter in skillet over medium heat, tilting pan to coat bottom evenly. Drop coconut mixture in spoonfuls over bottom of skillet; pat into an even layer, forming a smooth surface.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions in a large bowl. Gently pour batter evenly over coconut layer in skillet, spreading to edge. Bake 25-30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- Loosen edges of cake from skillet. Carefully invert onto large, heat-proof serving plate. Use a rubber scraper to remove any topping that might remain in bottom of skillet; spread over top of cake. Cool completely.