- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Adding fresh garlic to the pot while boiling the potatoes for this side dish creates wonderful garlicky undertones without the sharp garlic bite.
- 1-1/2 pounds baking potatoes (such as russet or Yukon gold), peeled and quartered
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil or butter to garnish
- Place the potatoes and the garlic cloves into a large pot and cover with water. Sprinkle in a few pinches of salt, cover the pot and bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Boil the potatoes for 25 minutes, carefully drain and place back into the pot.
- Add the butter, milk and oil to the potatoes and beat the mixture with a large fork or potato masher. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and then continue to mash until reaching desired consistency.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil or pat of butter.