- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 8 hr
- Total: 8 hr 20 min
- Serving: 10
Brought to you from the 50+ Friends Club Cookbook.
- 4 cups pinto beans (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- 2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. chili powder, optional
- 1 tbsp. cumin, optional
- 1 tsp. oregano, optional
- 1 can beer
- Cover beans with water and soak overnight.
- Drain and discard any bad beans.
- In a large pot, cover beans with an inch of water and bring to a boil.
- Boil for about 15 minutes; reduce heat and slowly add baking soda.
- Stir until mixture foams to the top of pot, about 1 minutes, and then quickly drain and rinse in a colander.
- Place beans in crock pot.
- Add onion, garlic, bacon and water to cover by about 2 inches.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Add salt and other optional spices during the last hour of cooking time along with your favorite beer.