- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 10 min
- Serving: 2-4 People
Try this quick and easy recipe for fabulous Southern fried okra.
- 16-ounces okra
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or black pepper)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or bacon fat)
- Wash okra and cut off the tips and stem ends; cut the pods crosswise into slices about 1/4-inch thick.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. In another bowl, beat the egg; dip okra into the egg, coating on all sides, and then dredge in the flour mixture, making sure to completely cover the okra.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; add okra and fry until brown, about 10 minutes, depending on thickness; flip to make sure the okra is crisp and browned on both sides; drain on paper towels before serving.