- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 16 min
- Total: 46 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
A simple salad with lots of flavor and texture; the fried mozzarella offers a crunchy exterior and creamy filling which pairs wonderfully with the peppery arugula and salty prosciutto.
- 2 bunches arugula, washed, dried, coarse stems discarded
- 5 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, each slice cut into half
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut into half
- 1/3 cup Kalamata black olives
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons lightly toasted, shelled sunflower seeds
- Sprinkle of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 cups olive oil for frying
- 1 pounds salted fresh mozzarella, cut in 4 slices
- Evenly divide the arugula between 4 plates, and then the prosciutto pieces, tomatoes, olives and onion.
- Sprinkle the salad with salt and pepper, and then with the toasted sunflower seeds. Drizzle with a balsamic cream glaze and then set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg whites together with the 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Place the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl next to the egg whites.
- Dip each slice of mozzarella into the egg mixture and then dredge into the crumbs. Repeat by dipping mozzarella for a second time into the egg whites and again into the crumbs in order to create a thick double layer. Repeat with all the slices and set aside on a plate.
- In a medium-sized sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the coated mozzarella and fry for about 2 minutes per side until the cheese is golden and starts to melt, without losing its shape.
- Place on a plate with paper towels to drain and then transfer to the prepared salads. Serve immediately.