- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 4
Fried Chicken Salad is a picnic favorite and should be served on a red checkered tablecloth.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup vinaigrette dressing
- 10 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup carrot, shredded
- Pound chicken between wax paper to 1/2 inch thick.
- In pie plate stir cornmeal with flour, salt, pepper, and a cayenne. Whisk buttermilk and 1 teaspoon of the mustard in another pie plate, to blend.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Dip chicken in buttermilk to coat, letting excess drip off; coat with cornmeal mixture.
- Fry chicken, until browned and cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel-lined cookie sheet.
- Whisk remaining 2 teaspoons mustard into vinaigrette. In a large bowl, toss salad greens, tomatoes and carrots with 1/4 cup vinaigrette. Slice chicken. Place salad on plates and top with chicken. Serve remaining vinaigrete on the side.