- Prep: 40 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: 12
Fresh Strawberry French Toast is filled with cream cheese.
- 16 slices day old light wheat sandwich bread
- 1, 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup, plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup strawberry preserves, divided
- 7 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely ground
- 1 quart ripe strawberries, sliced
- whipped topping, optional
- Lightly coat a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange half the bread in a single layer in the pan, trimming to fit.
- Combine cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup jam; beat until smooth. Spread over bread in pan. Top with remaining bread.
- Combine egg whites, whole eggs and milk; mix well. Pour over bread. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove pan from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and pecans; sprinkle evenly over top. Cover pan with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes, until puffy and golden brown on the sides. Let stand about 5 minutes before cutting.
- Heat remaining strawberry jam over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and stir in strawberries. Serve berry mixture warm on the side. Garnish with whipped topping, if desired.