- Prep: 1 hr 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 1 hr 10 min
- Serving: Makes enough syrup for 12 cocktails
A great base for Mojitos, this simple syrup can be used in cocktails, homemade sodas and sparkling drinks.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 (4-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle white rum
- 1-1/2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
- Place the sugar, water and ginger in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil stirring frequently.
- Cook the mixture for 5 minutes and then remove from heat. Stir in the fresh mint leaves and then let the mixture sit for 1 hour to allow flavors to infuse.
- Stain the syrup into a glass container, discarding any remaining solids, and tightly cap.