- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: Makes 36-40 servings
The fresh lemon juice and grated lemon rind used in these creamy dessert squares really makes their flavor ‘pop!’ Serve at a luncheon with a cup of steaming black tea.
- For crust:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- For filling:
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Powdered sugar to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease sides of a 13x9-inch pan with butter or cooking spray.
- For the crust: In a large bowl, cream together the flour, powdered sugar and butter.
- Spread the dough in the pan, working it slowly up the sides so it will hold the filling.
- Put in oven and bake for 20 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- For the filling: In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a handheld mixer. Add the sugar and the salt and continue to beat. Mix in the lemon juice, the rind and the flour and mix well.
- Pour the filling into the baked crust and put back in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sift powdered sugar over dessert. Allow to thoroughly cool before cutting into squares.