- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 33 min
- Total: 43 min
- Serving: Makes about 5 pints
With midsummer comes fig season and access to a fruit that makes seriously sweet delights as well as a wonderful companion to savory and tart foods. Enjoy this jam spread on crackers with creamy French fromage blanc goat cheese.
- 5 pounds fresh figs, chopped
- 6 cups of sugar
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Cover the figs in a large saucepan of boiling water and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let the figs soak in the water for 10 minutes. Drain and stem the figs and then chop into pieces.
- Place the figs back in the saucepan and add the sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, to completely dissolve sugar and to preventing sticking. Cook until mixture thickens.
- Put in the lemon juice and continue to boil for 2 more minutes.
- Pour the mixture into jars leaving about 1/4-inch from the top of the jar, and cap.
- Place the jam in a bath of boiling water to process for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.